The beginning of 2009, I was led to study the Bible in a new way (to me). I have been writing down the Scriptures (starting at the Genesis 1), Word for Word, and studying as the Lord leads and time allows. This has been such a MAJOR blessing to me! God has revealed so many new, interesting and exciting things from His Word, that I always want to share. I haven't had time to blog, sooo ... I am going to attempt to marry blogging with my morning study. I hope I can, in some way, impart my blessings to you.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Leviticus 25:14-17 ~Jubilee~ Near or Far?
















Here comes the sun!  At 0630 the temperature outside was actually under 100!  This is a day that the LORD has made, let us be glad and rejoice in it!

The last time we got together, we shared Leviticus 25:8-13,  The LORD enacted the Year of Jubilee, to be kept every 50th year following the (49th) 7th Sabbatic Year; giving the Israelites 2 years, in a row, of complete rest!  N.I.C.E!  Of course, they did have to work 49 years firstGod offered them a "Triple R" blessing, but they never took advantage of it.  We discovered how we can do, what they never did ... experience Jubilee in our own lives!

On today's "menu," we will find that all business was based on the number of years of potential profit between the Years of Jubilee.

Jon Courson explains, in his Application Commentary: if someone bought land 3 months  before a Jubilee Year, they would pay only a fraction of its value.  However, if they bought that same land 3 years before Jubilee, they would pay a little higher price.  And, if the next Jubilee was 49 years away, they would pay full price.

So, the property was obviously more valuable, the further away from Jubilee that you bought it.  Aha!  I am beginning to see some of God's purpose behind this concept this now!

Let's dig in:

Leviticus 25:14 ~ And if you sell ought unto your neighbor, or buy ought of your neighbor's hand, you shall not oppress one another:

Ought: 'that which comes from a sale' ~ 4465 Strongs Exhaustive Concordance.  The root word in Hebrew means 'merchandise.'  Oppress: 'to suppress, maltreat or do violence' ~ 3238 Strongs.

So, whether you sell anything to your neighbor or  buy anything from your neighbor, neither of you are to hold back (suppress) anything from each other nor take unfair advantage of one another.

:15 ~ According to the number of years after the jubile you shall buy of your neighbor, and according to the number of years of the fruits he shall sell unto you,

The transaction was actually more like a lease, than a purchase.  The land had been divided among the 12 tribes, then divided further among the families.  Only under certain exceptions, could it be sold outright "in perpetuity," outside of the families.  So, every Year of Jubileeall property was restored to the family that originally owned it.

The price reflected the amount of time, that the buyer had, to gain a profit from the land.  The sooner after  the Jubilee Year that you made your 'purchase,' the longer you could retain possession of it, thus the price would be higher.

:16 ~ According to the multitude of years you shall increase the price thereof, and according to the fewness of years you shall diminish the price of it: For according to the number of the years of the fruits does he sell unto you,

Likewise, if the transaction was made close to an upcoming Year of Jubilee ... for instance, just  a few months before ... the price would be substantially lower, because you would only have the property for a short time.  So, the value of the land was based on how many years you could potentially gain profit from it.  Sounds like a really fair policy ... doesn't it?  Of course, it is God's plan ... it is perfect!

:17 ~ You shall not therefore oppress one another; but you shall fear your God; for I AM the LORD your God.
















Click on photo to enlarge: "The LORD your God!"

The LORD obviously saw a need to repeat the command that He gave in verse 14.  This time, He backed it up, by reminding the children of Israel exactly Who He is and specifically to Whom they were accountable!  Strong words here! 

God, in His infinite wisdom, knows our sinful/ weaselly natures.  When He sees fit to repeat something, I try to pay extra close attention.  Because, I know that it must be especially important to HimIn this case, God tells us that He will definitely not take it lightly, if we mistreat one another for profit!!

The world, at large, seems to operate in complete contradiction to God's plan!  We hear stories in the news everyday.  A very large percentage of businesses are making their profits by mistreating others ... the elderly, the sick, the poor, the children ... even animals.  Our collective conscience seems to be glaringly missing! 

We would all do well, to heed the Lord's instructions to the Israelites!  Thanks to Jesus, we are not bound by the Laws in the OT, but we can certainly learn from them.  There will, one day, be a final accounting and I believe that day is getting very close!  It will be very dark day for some.  :( 

But, for Christians, what a joyous day!  The pièce de résistance ... the Extreme JubileeJesus will wipe our slates completely clean, foreverAll of our debts, trespasses and sins will be canceled and everything that binds us to this earth will be loosed ...  for eternity!  Hallelujah!!

That ultimate Jubilee, that Jesus came to proclaim, will take place in the Kingdom.  The closer that Extreme Jubilee seems to us ... the less valuable our material possessions will seem to be.

On the other hand, if I am all caught up in my possessions, my hobbies, my agenda ... that is a good indicator, that I may not be living for the Kingdom, the way I should be.  Am I putting too much value on those things, that are only temporary??  And what about my health?  These "tents," that we live in, are only temporary too!  Where do I invest my thoughts, time, money?

In Matthew 6:21 Jesus said, "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."  One thing is certain, the Lord wants to put His Kingdom in our hearts to a greater degree!  What do we need to do? Let it all go!!!!  We don't want the things of this world crowding out our Savior!!!  When we hear the heavenly Shofar of our Master calling us to the great Jubilee, we won't even think about earthly junk!!!  Oh my goodness .... what a awesome thing to look forward to!!!  I get chills thinking of it! 

Personally, I feel a real sense of urgency ... to do my letting go (I have a lot to let go of, too ... believe me) ... and to encourage others to do the same!  The "Extreme Jubilee" ... is getting close!!  WOO HOO!!!!  How exciting is that?!!!!!

We had better go get to work, while we can!  So ....

Until the next time ... au revoir!



I am blessed every day
with some new revelation of God's Word.
I will be sharing my measure of manna
with all who come to my "tent."
Please, let me know if you have been blessed
by the way it was prepared for you this day.
~Shalom~ 


No comments: