The beginning of 2009, I was led to study the Bible in a new way (to me). I have been writing down the Scriptures (starting at the Genesis 1), Word for Word, and studying as the Lord leads and time allows. This has been such a MAJOR blessing to me! God has revealed so many new, interesting and exciting things from His Word, that I always want to share. I haven't had time to blog, sooo ... I am going to attempt to marry blogging with my morning study. I hope I can, in some way, impart my blessings to you.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Exodus 20:1-2 ~ The First Commandment!


I will begin today with an exerpt from Jon Courson's Application Commentary (SUCH a rich resource!) Click here for his website. Here he helps us to differentiate between the two sets of Laws given to Moses:
"-The Law of God was given in Exodus 20.
-The Law of Moses was given in Exodus 21-23 and in the book of Leviticus.
-The Law of God is referred to by Paul in Romans 7.
-The Law of Moses is referred to by Jesus in John 7.
-The Law of God was given to 2-3 million people audibly.
-The Law of Moses was given to Moses privately.
-The Law of God was written by God directly (Exodus 31:18).
-The Law of Moses was recorded by Moses.
-The Law of God was preserved in an ark.
-The Law of Moses was not.
-The Law of God is for all people at all times inclusively.
-The Law of Moses is for the Jews exclusively."

~What an awesome privilege that we can study BOTH, right out of God's Living Word!!! A plethora of illustrations, life applications, insights, all pointing to Jesus!

~Our study, inevitably, leads us to the sad conclusion that we cannot possibly keep the Law "to the letter." The COOL thing is; we immediately realize how much we NEED our Savior Jesus (Galatians 3:24). From there, the Law directs us as to how we are to live (Matthew 5:17-19).

How AWESOME is that??!

Here we are, at Genesis 20: (bold/color emphasis is mine)
1 And God spoke all these words, saying,
~ And Moses wrote all of God's Words! (Ex 24:3-4) No wonder it is SUCH a blessing for us to do the same!

2 "I am the LORD your God
, which have (plural??? The Trinity? Whoa!) brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage."
~ This was so important, that it is referred to 44 times in the Pentateuch!
~ He did not just say, 'the LORD God,' but the Great I AM says, right up front, that He is YOUR God ... MY God, the ONE that made/created you and me. He knows what will make us happy! How personal!! How tender!! ... how precious!! ... and oh-so-comforting!!!
~ I/we s also were (past tense!) slaves to the bondage of sin, in one way or another. Until our Deliverer Jesus rescued us from "Egypt!" We did not even know how to think right! Through His Word and His Holy Spirit, He teaches us how to think rightly and live successfully in "the Promised Land." He should know, He made us! Bless His heart!!!!
NOTE to self: Remember to share my "promised land" horse testimony.

This post is intentionally short; I have been "chewing" on the second verse of this chapter all day ... what an incomprehensible blessing!!! Does anything else really matter?
I thought perhaps you would like to dwell here for awhile also. Read the second verse over a few times and just let our Lord's loving Words wash over you and soak into every fiber of your being. Repeat them to yourself throughout the day. GOOD stuff!!!

Oh LORD God, my God, the Great and Awesome I AM,
thank You for Your Love towards us!
I love You, with my whole heart, soul, and mind!
Thank You for the perfect plans You have
for each individual life that You have created!
Teach us how to think and how to live successfully
on this earth and in a way pleasing to You.
Thank You for leading us away from the things that enslave us.
In our freedom, help us to trust and follow You!
Amen

I am blessed every day with some new revelation of God's Word.
I will be sharing my measure of manna with all who come to my "tent.
Please, let me know if you have been blessed
by the way it was prepared for you this day.
~Shalom~

No comments: